Egide Rombaux (attr.) Belgian Art Nouveau “Nymph and Iris” sculpture c.1900
EGIDE ROMBAUX attr. (1865-1942) Belgium
Nymph with Iris Blossoms c.1900
Finely hand carved ivory in the form of a full figure nymph with an iris blossom and buds, blue agate base with gilt bronze mounts
For more information see: Art Nouveau and Art Deco Lighting, Alastair Duncan (New York: Simon & Schuster, Publishers, 1978)
H: 9 1/2″
Egide Rombaux, born 1865 in Brussels, was the son of the sculptor Félix Rombaux and student of Charles van der Strappen and Joseph Lambeaux. Rombaux was one of the more eminent of the Belgian School at the turn of the century; he was awarded the prestigious Prix de Rome in 1891, and subsequently became a professor at the Institut superieur des Beaux-Arts in Anvers. Sculptor and medalist, he principally did ivory groups (such as his ‘Venusberg’, displayed at the 1897 chryselephantine Tervuren exposition, and his ‘Daughter of Satan’, now at the Musée Royale des Beaux-Arts in Brussels), portrait busts and statues. He also collaborated with silversmith Franz Hoosemans on a delightful range of candelabra and tablelamps.
Désiré Christian / Meisenthal Art Nouveau Art Glass Gourd Vase c. 1885-90
DÉSIRÉ CHRISTIAN (1846-1907) France
MEISENTHAL (LOTHRINGEN) France/Germany
Gourd vessel in the Japanese taste c. 1885-90
Wheel-carved and martelé French cameo glass with metallic inclusions and applied glass (blossoms, tendrils and butterflies)
Signed on the bottom: Desire Christian, Meisenthal Loth
For information on Désiré Christian see: The Glass of Désiré Christian, Ghost for Gallé, Jules S. Traub (Chicago: The Art Glass Exchange, 1978).
H: 8 1/2″ x Dia: 4″
Black Starr & Frost American Art Nouveau Sterling Mounted Jewelry Box c.1900
BLACK STARR & FROST New York, NY
Art Nouveau Sterling and Mahogany Jewelry Box c.1900
Mahogany jewelry box with thick sterling silver decorative graphic mountings in an elaborate Art Nouveau whiplash design, original key
Marks: Eagle mark (Company logo) BLACK STARR & FROST, Sterling
For more information see: American Jewelry Manufacturers, Dorothy T. Rainwater (West Chester, Penn.: Schiffer, 1988)
H: 4 1/2″ x W: 10 1/2″ x D: 7″
One of America’s oldest fine jewelers, Black, Starr and Frost traces its roots to 1810. In that year, Erastus Barton and Frederick Marquand opened Marquand and Barton near New York’s Maiden Lane. The firm added and lost partners numerous times and it also frequently moved locations in accordance with the addresses of its prestigious clientele. Its merchandise was eclectic and greatly varied including, lamps, jewelry, paintings, porcelain, and artistic objects. In 1876, the firm changed its name from Black, Ball, and Co. to Black, Starr, and Frost, and moved to 251 Fifth Avenue. Its inventory became focused on jewelry and silver objects, some imported from Europe, some produced in-house. For many decades, the renowned jewelry house, Black, Starr, and Frost was considered one of the great American jewelers. In 1876, it was invited to exhibit at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia along with renowned firms like Tiffany & Company, Whiting, and Gorham. In 1939, the firm was one of five American jewelers invited to exhibit at the New York’s World’s Fair. In 1929, it merged with Gorham to become Black, Starr, Frost – Gorham.