Bailey Banks & Biddle, “George H. Smith – Magna Carta brooch”, enamel and 18K gold, signed, original leather box, c. 1890
BAILEY, BANKS & BIDDLE
Joseph Trowbridge Bailey and Andrew B. Kitchen opened their first store on Chestnut Street in Philadelphia on September 20, 1832, known as Bailey & Kitchen, offering silverware, jewelry and assorted other articles. In 1878, Joseph T. Bailey II; George Banks, formerly of J.E. Caldwell & Co.; and Samuel Biddle formed a partnership. They renamed the company, Bailey, Banks & Biddle. In 1894, the company incorporated with Bailey as president. The firm has always maintained their main store on Chestnut Street, relocating to 1218, and in 1953, to their current address at 1530. In October 1986, Bailey, Banks & Biddle became a member of the Zale group and currently maintains forty-four branch stores throughout the United States.