Oswald Haerdtl / J. C. Klinkosch Vienna Hand mirror c. 1940
OSWALD HAERDTL (1899-1959) Austria
J.C. KLINKOSCH Vienna
Hand mirror c. 1940
Handwrought and hand hammered silver in a contoured organic form, the top inset panel is turquoise and peach colored champleve enamel with silver cloisons in the form of a meandering branches.
Marks: J.C.K. (maker’s monogram), Klinkosch touch marks, 800 and toucan mark (Vienna silver standard marks)
For more information and other works see: Oswald Haerdtl 1899-1959, introd. Johannes Spalt (Vienna: Hochschule für angewandte Kunst, 1978); Oswald Haerdtl, Architekt und Designer (1899-1959), Adolphe Stiller (Salzburg: Verlag Anton Pustet, 2000); Art Nouveau and Art Deco Silver, Annelies Krekel-Aalberse (New York: Harry N. Abrams, 1989).
L: 10 1/2″
Haerdtl shared an architectural practice with Josef Hoffmann in the early 1930s, was later honored by the Austrian government to design the Austrian pavilion at the 1937 International Exhibition in Paris.