Charlton & Co. New York “Scottie” comb, platinum and diamond “Scottie” highlighted with black enamel set with three baguette diamonds and twelve round diamonds set on a tortoise shell comb and holder, original red leather and suede envelope, signed, c. 1930’s
John W. Charlton opened his business in New York under the name of J.W.Charlton in 1909, later changing to Charlton & Co when Robert S. Chapin became his partner. In the 1920s, branches were open in Palm Beach and in Paris. In 1934, another partner Grant A. Peacock acquired ownership of the company, changing the name to his own. Charlton was known for creating some of the most important jewels of the Art Deco period, with an impressive client list equalling those of the biggest jewellery firms.