Product Description
Louis C. Tiffany / Tiffany Studios Rare Kettle-on-Stand c. 1902

LOUIS C. TIFFANY (1848-1933) USA
TIFFANY STUDIOS New York
Kettle-on-Stand c.1902
Silver on copper with carved teak wood handles and finial in an organic-form and hexagonal shaped kettle-on-stand with burner
Marks: Tiffany Studios, New York (on all three pieces)
Illustrated: The Art of Louis Comfort Tiffany, Donald L. Stover (The Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, 1981), p. 88, illus. 189 (description on p. 96); Tiffany at Auction, Alastair Duncan (New York: Rizzoli International Publications, 1981) p. 50, pl. 137.
A rare example of a subtle organic-form and hexagonal shaped kettle-on-stand emulating pooling water in a Japanese influenced design by Louis Comfort Tiffany and made by Tiffany Studios
H: 10 1/2″ x D: 8″ x W: 9″
Louis C. Tiffany / Tiffany Studios Rare Kettle-on-Stand c. 1902
WALTER DORWIN TEAGUE (1883-1960) USA
STEUBEN DIVISION, CORNING GLASS WORKS Corning, NY
Architectural “Sphere” bookends c. 1935
Polished clear lead crystal
Marks: Steuben (inscribed on one), 16 and 23 (one number inscribed on each)
Illustrated: House Beautiful, September 1937 and in the Steuben Archive
H: 4 1/2″ x W: 5″ x D: 4 1/4″
HENDRIK PETRUS BERLAGE (1856 – 1934) Netherlands
BECHT & DYSERINCK for ‘t Binnenhuis
Rare Architectural Candelabrum c. 1900
Riveted and detailed “Eiffel Tower” like form in brass and copper with four feet, small cut out designs and two bobeche trays supporting five candles.
H: 14″ x W: 8 1/4″ x D: 8 1/4″
Hendrik Petrus Berlage, a Dutch architect and designer attended the Rijksakademie in Amsterdam and a year later switched to architecture. Berlage enrolled in 1875 in the architecture department of the Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule in Zurich. Through 1878 Berlage studied in Zurich under Gottfried Semper, whose teachings had a lasting influence on his work. After finishing these studies, Berlage spent three years traveling in Germany (1879) and Italy (1880-1881) before returning to his native Amsterdam. From 1881 Berlage was employed by the Amsterdam architect Theodor Sanders and from 1884 Berlage was a partner in the business until he opened his own practice in 1889. In 1884 he submitted a design for the projected Commodity Exchange (Beurs van Berlage) in Amsterdam, winning the competition in 1896. This building, completed in 1903, was Hendrik Paulus Berlage’s first important commission, which also solidified his reputation. Also in Amsterdam and at this same time, Berlage built the Diamond Guild building (1897-1900). In 1900 along with the architect and designer Jacob van den Bosch, Hendrik Paulus Berlage opened the gallery, “‘t Binnenhuis”. They sold their own designed furniture and objects they from 1900-1929. In 1900 Berlage was also commissioned to plan a southern extension of Amsterdam. This was Berlage’s most important contribution to urban planning and he worked on the project until 1915. In 1911 Berlage went to the US, where he saw the new buildings by Frank Lloyd Wright and Louis Sullivan. Berlage built his own house in The Hague and moved into it with his family in 1913. The Gemeentemuseum in The Hague (1919-1935) was Berlage’s last important building, however it was not completed until shortly after his death. Hendrik Petrus Berlage was the founder of the “Amsterdam School” and was a pioneer of modern architecture in the Netherlands. In his 1905 essay “Gedanken über Stil in der Baukunst”, Berlage fiercely criticized 19th-century historicizing architecture as pompous, reserving his praise for the austere simplicity of early period styles. His criticism was severe since he stated flatly that historicizing architecture was all appearance rather than reality, was not art; too much was imitation, more iron was used than stone, and so on. Hendrik Petrus Berlage was therefore an early critic of Historicism even though his Amsterdam Exchange still reveals Romanesque features.
CHRISTOPHER DRESSER (1834-1904) UK
JAMES COUPER & SONS Glasgow, Scotland
“Clutha” vase c. 1890
Blown strawberry glass
This Dresser form appears as Linthorpe Pottery model no. 114.
Illustrated: Truth, Beauty, Power: Dr. Christopher Dresser 1834-1904,exhib. cat. Historical Design, Inc. (New York, 1998) p. 70.
Rare model.
H: 5 1/8” x W: 6”
PROF. MAX LÄUGER (1864-1952) Karlsruhe, Germany
Unique Jugendstil ceramic footed bowl inlaid with gold mosaic 1906
Light and dark green glazed earthenware inlaid with mosaic gold glass squares on four cylindrical feet.
Marks: ML, K (monogram)338 (incised), 4., MUSTER B.., GESCHTZ
For other mosaic inlaid works by Max Läuger see: Max Laeuger (1864-1952): sein graphisches, kunsthandwerkliches und keramisches Oeuvre, Elisabeth Kessler-Slotta (Saarbrücken: Saarbrücker Druckerei und Verlag, 1985) pp. 178/179; Europäisches Kunstgewerbe 1927, Stadtisches Kunstgewerbe-Museum zu Leipzig, (Leipzig: E.A. Seeman, 1928) p. 86; Deutsche Kunst und Dekoration vol. XII “Professor Max Laeuger Karlsruhe”, pp. 221-237; Modernism: Modernist Design 1880-1940 (The Norwest Collection, Norwest Corporation, Minneapolis), Alastair Duncan (Woodbridge, Suffolk, England: The Antique Collector’s Club, 1998), p. 86.
H: 5 3/4″ x Dia: 7 1/4″
Max Laeuger (or Läuger) was born in Lörrach on September 30, 1864. Laeuger was a self taught ceramicist, studied at the Karlsruhe Polytechnic a hundred miles to the north-west of Lörrach (now Karlsruhe University) and eventually became a professor at the university. In 1895 after travelling throughout Europe visiting the major cultural centers to study art he was appointed director of the art pottery department of Tonwerke Kanderne close to his home town. He stayed there until 1913 and later took up a similar position at Majolika-Manufaktur in Karlsruhe.
From 1921 he had his own workshop on the premises formerly owned by the company and produced designs there. The work produced fell into three categories, slip decorated wares designed by Laeuger but produced entirely by the factory, pieces made at the factory but decorated and glazed by Laeuger and one-off pieces by the professor made from beginning to end in his own workshop. All were marketed by Majolika-Manufaktur. Laeuger’s one-off pieces had the brushed initials ‘ML’ and the other works were marked ‘LAEUGER’ or ‘PROF. MAX LAEUGER’
Through the thirties and into the Second World War he worked on his own, but after his workshop was destroyed in 1944 he returned to Lörrach where he died on December 12, 1952. Laeuger was a major figure in German ceramics. His designs and his glazes had ‘organic’ characteristics that are his signature design and his work is much sought-after by collectors. Examples of Laeuger pieces are on display at the Badisches Landesmuseum in Karlsruhe.