Paul-Auguste Gagné, French Egyptian Revival Gilt Bronze Garniture Set c. 1875
Paul-Auguste Gagné (Sculptor) France
Egyptian Revival garniture set, circa 1875
Gilt bronze and carved rouge marble mantle clock and candelabra in a high Egyptian Revival style
Marks: P.A. Gagne (elaborate incised scroll signature on the back of the portrait bust)
For more information on Gagné see: Dictionnaire des peintres, sculpteurs, dessinateurs et graveurs, vol. 4, E. Bénézit (Paris: Librairie Gründ, 1976) p. 579.
For other related Egyptian Revival garniture sets see: Egyptomania: Egypt in Western Art, 1730-1930 (Paris: Éditions de la Réunion des Musées Nationaux and Ottawa: National Gallery of Canada, 1994)
H: 20 3/4″ x D: 6 3/4″ x W: 14 1/2″
Jaipur Enameled and Gem Set Rare Solid Gold Cup and Saucer c. mid-19th Century
JAIPUR, MUGHAL INDIA
Enameled and gem set gold Cup and Saucer c. mid-19th Century
High carat yellow gold (22-24 carat) cup and saucer set with a fine emerald, ruby and diamonds, the cup with a high foot with rounded sides and handle formed of two snakes intersecting at three points and biting the rim. The exterior is decorated with red, green, blue and white enamels with roundels containing combatant animals on a ground of floral sprays, the saucer with gently rounded sides decorated with lobed cartouches containing warriors combating tigers and birds, the underside with a series of oval panels containing peacocks and hummingbirds.
Provenance: a gift from a European diplomat in the 1930’s-40’s, and thence by descent.
Saucer: Dia: 5 1/4;
Cup: H: 2 3/4″ (with handle) x Dia: 2 5/8″
Similar animal decoration can be found in an epaulette attributed to Rajesthan, probably Jaipur, in the Khalili Collection (Pedro Moura Carvalho, Gems and Jewels of Mughal India, London, 2010, p. 225, no. 120. A related cup and saucer with similar animal depictions was sold at Christie’s (Islamic Art, Indian Miniatures, Rugs and Carpets, London, 21st October 1993, lot 350.
Eugene Schopin, French Renaissance Revival Style Majolica Wall Shelf c.1872
Eugene Schopin (1831-1893) Montigny-sur-Loing, France.
Renaissance-Revival style Majolica wall shelf, circa 1872.
Hand modeled and cast ceramic with highly stylized caryatids and floral details glazed with rich cobalt blue, green, gold and cream colored glazes.
Marks: M-S-L (Montigny-sur-Loing), RA.
H: 8 ½” x W: 14” x D: 6 ¾”.
Eugene Schopin founded his ceramic factory in Montigny-sur-Loing in 1872. Painters like Jean-Baptiste Corot, Eugène Thirion (1839-1910), Adrien Schulz (1851-1931), Numa Gillet (1868-1940) and Lucien Cahen-Michel (1888-1980) were attracted to this area by the beauty of the landscape and light. Eugene Schopin collaborated with these artists to create a range of models inspired by Impressionism and decorated according to the new demands of the public.
Whiting American Sterling Koi Theme “Japonisme” Serving Bowl and Servers c.1880 uploading
WHITING MANUFACTURING CO. North Attleboro, MA
“Koi” serving bowl with matching servers c. 1880
Sterling silver serving bowl and matching servers with applications of Koi fish behind nets, gilt interior
Marks: on base: lion with W in oval (manufacturer’s insignia), STERLING, 2124A, J.E. CALDWELL & CO. (retailer)
H: 4 3/8″ x Dia: 9 3/4″
In 1840 Albert Tifft and William Whiting started their business in North Attleboro, MA as a jewelry manufacturing company and then in 1866 created the Whiting Mfg. Co. and expanded production into small holloware as well. The Gorham Company bought Whiting in 1926 and all operations were then moved to Providence, R.I.
Venetian Fantasy “Gondola” Chair, Late 19th Century
Venetian fantasy “Gondola” chair, late 19th century.
Structural form high back chair with the original cinnabar painted surface with various gilded artwork and details highlighting the central themes of Venice, including a stylized gondola form, the lion of St. Marks and carved Venetian scroll work like designs
H: 67 1/2″ x W: 24 1/2″ x D: 38″
Seat height: 18 1/2″, Depth of Seat: 19″
Emile Galle “Egyptian Coin” handled dish c. 1881
EMILE GALLÉ (1846-1904) France
“Egyptian Coin” handled dish c. 1881
Handpainted faience in barbotine, glazed polychrome decoration beneath transparent glaze, gold highlights
Marks: stamped in black: E. Gallé, nancy depose, E G with cross of Lorraine
Designs for other Egyptian decoration illustrated: Les dessins de Gallé, Philippe Thiébaut (Paris: Réunion des musées nationaux, 1993) p. 98-99
Related forms and designs illustrated: La Ceramique de Gallé (Nancy: Musée de l’Ecole de Nancy, 1984) p. 119; Egyptomania: Egypt in Western Art, 1730-1930 (Paris: Éditions de la Réunion des Musées Nationaux and Ottawa: National Gallery of Canada, 1994), pp. 472=74.
H: 7″ x L: 12″ x W: 8″
Thomas Jekyll (attr.) Aesthetic Movement Iron Umbrella or Cane Stand c.1885
THOMAS JEKYLL (attr.) (1827–1881)
BRITISH AESTHETIC MOVEMENT
Umbrella stand c. 1885
Black nickelled and patinated cast and wrought iron,
sunburst detail and decorative fretwork
H: 25 1/4” x W: 13” x D: 9 1/2”
Base W: 9 1/2”
Although he was a successful architect, Jeckyll is best known today for his “epoch-making” designs in metalwork. His architectural practice routinely included the design of gates, railings, and metal fittings for domestic commissions and of coronas, candelabra, and altar rails for ecclesiastical ones. But it was his exhibition pieces for the ironworks firm of Barnard, Bishop & Barnards of Norwich that brought him his greatest renown. His “Norwich Gates” for the 1862 London International Exhibition set in motion the 19th-century wrought iron revival in Great Britain. Subsequent creations, including his “Four Seasons Gates,” exhibited in Paris in 1867 and Vienna in 1873, and his cast iron pavilion for the 1876 Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition, received substantial praise, in particular for their creative use of Asian principles and motifs. His innovative Anglo-Japanese designs for stoves, stove fronts, fenders, fire irons, and other domestic metalwork were also produced and sold in large numbers. As these designs were both artistic and affordable, they allowed the incorporation of objects of beauty into middle-class homes. He was one of the few figures in the design reform movement in Britain who managed to unite beauty and utility.
A very intricately worked late Victorian or Aesthetic Movement wrought and cast iron tall stand for umbrellas or canes with delicately riveted cross hatch fretwork and curling details and handle motif along with an attached iron base with a sunburst design all in the original black nickel finish.
Gustave Herter Renaissance revival “portrait” cabinet 1858 – 1864
GUSTAVE HERTER (1839-1883) b. Germany/New York
Renaissance revival “portrait” cabinet 1858 – 1864
Carved cherry wood portrait plaque, mahogany, exotic wood inlays and gilding; black and gold veined marble top
Marks: G. Herter / New York (impressed mark)
Provenance: Patrick A. Valentine Family, Lake Oconomowoc Wisconsin; Phillip Danforth Armour, Chicago and Lake Oconomowoc, Wisconsin.
H: 42” x W: 43 1/2” x D: 22”
This Renaissance Revival cabinet is an exceptional example of the style as it developed in the United States from the middle of the 19th century into the early years of the Civil War. Along with intricate marquetry and gilded elements, the cabinet boasts a rare carved wood civil war era portrait. Herter’s case pieces in this style were generally ornamented with bronze medallions or plaques imported from Europe. In addition, the G. Herter signature makes this piece a great rarity as the cabinetmaker rarely signed his work. This spectacular cabinet also has an interesting provenance. The original owner, Phillip Danforth Armour, founder of the famous Chicago Meat Packing Co., likely acquired the cabinet at the time of his wedding in 1863. Thirty years later, the cabinet was moved to the Armours’ summer estate, Danforth Lodge, which was built on Oconomowoc Lake in Wisconsin. The mansion was raised in 1953 but the cabinet survived in the family of Armour’s widow who had married Patrick A. Valentine, a principal in the Armour company.
“Danforth Lodge”, Oconomowoc Lake, Wisconsin (known as Newport of the Midwest) a grand summer residence, built in 1893 by Phillip Danforth Armour (founder of the Armour Meat Packing Co., Chicago, Illinois). After Phillip Danforth Armour died, his wife married Patrick A. Valentine, an officer of the Armour Meat Packing Co. In 1916 they enlarged it into an even grander estate, which was later sold and subdivided in 1941. The mansion was eventually torn down in 1953.
Herter Brothers of New York City became one of the leading cabinetmaking and decorating firms of the nineteenth century. Gustave Herter (1830-98) and his younger brother Christian (1840-83) emigrated from Germany to New York. While Gustave spent time working at Tiffany, Young, and Ellis (later Tiffany and Company), Christian had studied at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris, France. Their partnership led to prominent commissions including the homes of wealthy industrialists, William H. Vanderbilt, J. Pierpont Morgan, and Potter Palmer, among others. Dictated by the favored tastes of the Aesthetic Movement and its quest towards “art for art’s sake,” the Herters’ work achieved a perfect blend of classic and craft as they became one of the first “tastemakers” of the period, designing exquisite furniture as well as interior schemes.
***A related work of Herter Brothers Renaissance Revival can be found in the Music Room Mirror from the Milton Latham Residence at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.
The firm of Herter Brothers, New York, (working 1864–1906), founded by Gustave (1830–1898) and Christian Herter (1839–1883), begun as an upholstery warehouse, became one of the first firms of furniture makers and interior decorators in the United States after the Civil War. With their own design office and cabinet-making and upholstery workshops, Herter Brothers were prepared to accomplish every aspect of interior furnishing including decorative paneling and mantels, wall and ceiling decoration, patterned floors and carpets and draperies.
The Herters were born in Stuttgart, Württemberg. Gustave was born Julius Gustav Alexander Hagenlocher, with his unmarried mother’s surname. She married Christian Herter (1807–1874) in 1835, and he adopted Gustave. Christian Augustus Ludwig Herter, Gustave’s half-brother, was born in 1839. Gustave and Christian’s father was a skilled cabinetmaker and they followed him in the trade. Gustave Herter came to New York City in 1848 and by 1858 was working under his own name. Christian was in New York by 1859 and joined his brother in the firm (renamed Herter Brothers) by 1864.
The firm was at the forefront of the panoply of furnishing styles that preceded the Mission style: Renaissance Revival, Neo-Grec, Eastlake, the Aesthetic Movement, ebonized “Anglo-Japanese style” furnishings of the 1870s – 1880s for which the firm is best recognized today, and the wide range of furnishings in revival styles required for Gilded Age houses.
The Red Room of the White House was furnished with Herter Brothers furniture during the administration of Ulysses S. Grant. Several pieces of Herter Brothers furniture remain in the White House including a center table and a slipper chair. This center table bears the remains of the only known Herter Brothers paper label; generally the firm stamped their furniture, a common practice in the 19th Century.
Among their most prominent clients were the Vanderbilts. Between 1879 and 1882, Herter Brothers decorated William Henry Vanderbilt‘s new Fifth Avenue mansion.
At 634 Fifth Avenue, in 1880–1882, they decorated the mansion of Darius Ogden Mills, on the site of part of Rockefeller Center now occupied by the colossal bronze Atlas. Their bills came to US$450,000. At the same time they were furnishing the nearby Jay Gould residence at 579 Fifth Avenue, at Forty-seventh Street.
The Herters did much of the interior work for the Eldridge Street Synagogue.
The White House’s interiors were extensively renovated during the administration of Theodore Roosevelt. Executing the designs of architect Charles Follen McKim, Herter Brothers created the plaster ceiling and ornately-carved oak paneling for the expanded State Dining Room. The firm’s workshops also provided the heavily carved paneling for the renovated East Room.
Very few Herter Brothers interiors remain extant. “Elm Park” in Norwalk, Connecticut was built 1864-68, and partially decorated by Herter Brothers. Open to the public as the Lockwood-Mathews Mansion Museum, the drawing room, music room and rotunda/art gallery are examples of the Herters’ interior design schemes, including lavishly carved and inlaid woodwork and frescoed walls and ceilings. The recently restored drawing room retains a suite of Herter furniture purchased for it by the home’s second owner, Charles D. Mathews.
A notable surviving Herter interior is the John Thatcher home, now the Rosemount Museum, in Pueblo, Colorado (however, this work was carried out by the firm after the death of Christian Herter and the retirement of his brother, Gustave; connoisseurs and collectors tend to concentrate on the furniture and interiors designed during the brothers’ supervision of the firm).
Examples of Herter furniture are in major public collections in the United States. The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City presented an exhibition, “Herter Brothers: Furniture and Interiors for a Gilded Age,” in 1995.
Italian Majolica Pair of “Rose” wall pockets c. 1885
Pair of “Rose” wall pockets c. 1885
Three dimensional realistically rendered pink roses with leaf and stems all in the Barbotine technique
Marks: Made in Italy
Barbotine is the French term for ceramic slip or a mixture of clay and water for molding or decorating pottery. This technique was used to create applied adornments on 19th century majolica items.
H: 13″ x W: 7 1/4″ x D: 4 1/4″
George Richards Elkington British Sterling Trompe L’Oeil Covered Box 1854
George Richards Elkington (1801-1865)
Trompe L’Oeil Box 1854
Sterling silver shallow box with a hinged lid of a life-size trompe l’oeil damask napkin neatly folded on a gilt-sterling Georgian dinner plate
Weight: 45 troy ounces
Marks: GRE makers mark, London hallmarks for 1854
H: 2″ x Dia: 10 1/2″
Gorham T.B. Starr Important Sterling “Macy” Renaissance Revival Pitcher 1893
GORHAM MFG. CO SILVERSMITHS Providence, RI
THEODORE B. STARR Retailer
Renaissance Revival pitcher 1893
A highly important Gorham sterling pitcher chased with mythological faces, putti and various scrolling foliate patterns, the handle in the form of Pan with four sphinx figures supporting the base, all with elaborate and exquisite hand chasing and repousse throughout. Extremely fine original condition with original gilded interior.
Marks: Lion, Anchor, G (Gorham silver touch marks), EX. (Exhibition), Theodore B. Starr, 6 pint, Sterling, 1805, double circle touch mark (date mark for 1893)
Provenance: Private Collection, New York; Private Collection Florida from 1984 to 2009; directly descended in the family of Thomas H. Macy (founder of Nantucket) prior to 1984
Weight: 74 troy oz.
H: 13″ x W: 10″ x D: 7″
George Jakob Hunzinger New York 19th Century Rare Painted Chair 1876
GEORGE JAKOB HUNZINGER (1835-1898) Germany/ USA
Yellow and blue painted elaborately turned wood, blue thread woven covered metal band mesh seat (original condition)
Marks: George Hunzinger Patent 1876
Illustrated: The Furniture of George Hunzinger, Invention and Innovation in Nineteenth-Century America, Barry R. Harwood (Brooklyn: Brooklyn Museum of Art, 1997) p.103.
H: 32″ x D: 17″ x W: 20″
GEORGE JAKOB HUNZINGER (1835-18989) USA
George Hunzinger emigrated in the 1850s from the Black Forest region of Germany where his family had worked as cabinetmakers since the 17th century. Settling in New York, he joined a community of 3,000 German furniture makers but soon distinguished himself as a maker of patent furniture and “fancy chairs”. Hunzinger’s innovative designs are often associated with the development of the Aesthetic Movement in America. By the 1870s, his chairs were sought after by many Americans as accent pieces for their parlors. The woven mesh or upholstery of these innovative chairs follows the original intention of the maker and the turned frame has an avant-garde, colorful and rather contemporary feeling painted in a combination of a rich ochre yellow and cobalt blue, a color combo that was highly prized for it’s eccentricity in Victorian America.
Gorham Sterling “Exotic” Tea and Coffee Set in Original Presentation Chest 1880
GORHAM MFG. CO SILVERSMITHS Providence, RI
“Exotic” tea and coffee set in original Gorham presentation chest 1880
Sterling silver 5-piece service with “butler” finish, bright-cut chasing and repoussé surface in the Far Eastern exotic style with elephant trunk spouts and handle forms, tent-like splayed lids, interior gilding, engraved conjoined initials, bone spacers in the original deep teal velvet-covered presentation chest with hot pink silk- satin interior
Marks: Gorham marks, STERLING, 1560, “M” (date mark for 1880)
Lid of case interior stamped in gold: Gorham Mfg. Co., Sterling Silver, Union Square, NY
Coffeepot: H: 5 3/4” handle-to-spout: 9 1/4” (length);
teapot: H: 4”;
sugar w/ lid: H: 4”;
waste bowl: H: 2 1/2”;
cream: H: 2 3/4”;
chest: H: 7” x W: 21” x D: 15”
For related pieces and further information see: Gorham Silver 1831-1981, Charles H. Carpenter, Jr., Chapter 6, “Innovation and Fantasy”, p. 94-121 (New York: Dodd, Mead & Company, 1982); In Pursuit of Beauty: Americans and the Aesthetic Movement, Chapter 8,“Metalwork: An Eclectic Aesthetic” by David Hanks, p.253-294 (New York: The Metropolitan Museum of Art / Rizzoli, 1987); Silver in America, 1840-1940: A Century of Splendor, Charles L. Venable, Chapter 6, “Consumption and Design” p.123-204, (New York: Dallas Museum of Art, Harry N. Abrams, Inc., 1995).
Franz Bergman (attr.) Bronze Bull Pen Wipe c. 1900
Franz Xaver Bergman (1861–1936) (attr.) Vienna, Austria.
Bull pen wipe c. 1900
Cold painted bronze, boar’s hair bristles, horn.
For information see: Art Bronzes, Mich. Forrest (Schiffer, 1988).
H: 5 1/4” x L: 11”
Franz Xaver Bergman (1861–1936) was the owner of a Viennese foundry who produced numerous patinated and cold-painted bronze Oriental, erotic and animal figures, the latter often humanized or whimsical, humorous objects d’art.
A well-known anamalier at the turn-of-the century, the sculptor Franz Bergman created a number of small bronzes in a variety of subject matter. Other figurative works were informed by the Jugendstil/Art Nouveau style and the European taste for the exotic as is found in his figures of rug merchants and camels. His animal sculptures, however, capture the Viennese tradition of naturalistic bronzes. The quality of the bronze casting shows tremendous detail, which was carefully brought out through the applied patination process known as cold painting.
Liberty & Co. / Leonard Wyburd Egyptian Revival Four-Legged Oak Thebes Stool c. 1890-1895
Leonard Wyburd UK
Liberty & Company London
Four-legged Thebes stool circa 1890-95. Oak with highly figured grain, concave slat seat, turned details.
Marks: 4 (impressed on underside)
This design was registered by Liberty & Co. in 1884.
Related Liberty & Co. stools illustrated: Liberty’s 1875-1975 : An Exhibition to Mark the Firm’s Centenary (London: Victoria & Albert Museum, 1975) p. 35, illustr. C1, Liberty Design, 1874-1914 , Barbara Morris (London: Octopus Publishing Group:, 1989) p. 103; Egyptomania: Egypt in Western Art, 1730-1930 (Paris: Éditions de la Réunion des Musées Nationaux and Ottawa: National Gallery of Canada, 1994), pp. 465-66.
H: 15″ x D: 17″ x W: 17″
One of the driving influences of the Aesthetic Movement of the late 19th century was an informed interest in authentic ancient designs inspired by recent archaeological discoveries. Both the three and four-legged Thebes stool were inspired by actual furniture and wall paintings unearthed from royal tombs in the ancient Egyptian city for which they are named. Leonard Wyburd, who was one of the principal designers for Liberty, patented his designs for the Thebes stools in 1884. Liberty & Co. continued to make the popular stools into the early 1900’s.
Clement Massier / French Art Nouveau “Bamboo and Flying Crane” Vase circa 1900
CLÉMENT MASSIER (1845-1917) France
MASSIER ART POTTERY Golfe Juan, France
“Bamboo and flying crane” vase c. 1900
Earthenware tapering form with applied handles, hand painted with bamboo and flying cranes with gilt motives and details
Marks: Clement Massier Golfe Juan (block impressed letters)
For more information and other works by the Massier family see: Lost Paradise: Symbolist Europe (Montreal, Quebec: The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, 1995) p. 176, cat. 269; Jugendstil Art Nouveau, Floral and Functional Forms, Siegfried Wichmann (New York/Boston: Graphic Society/Little, Brown & Co., 1984) p. 45; Art Nouveau Belgium France. Exh. cat. Yvonne Brunhammer et al. (Houston, TX: Institute for the the Arts, Rice University, 1976); La Céramique Art Nouveau, Edgar Pélichet, Michèle Duperrex (Paris: La Bibliothèque des Arts, 1976) p. 89
H: 14 1/8” x D: 9 5/8”
Sir William Reynold Stephens / British Arts & Crafts Bronze / Copper photo frame 1886
SIR WILLIAM REYNOLD STEPHENS (1862–1943) London, UK
BRITISH ARTS & CRAFTS
Photo frame 1886
Bronze / copper lost wax casting with an elaborate stage set with a seeded figure and two capitals with mythological telamons, easel back
Marks: 18 December 1886, W Reynold Stephens London (signature and markings in the cast, bottom left front)
H: 6 5/8″ x W: 11 1/2″
Sculptor of decorative works, portraits and monumental figures, goldsmith and painter. Born 8 August 1862 in Detroit, U.S.A., of British parents; his father’s name was Stephens. Educated in England and Germany, then studied at the R.A. Schools and won prizes for sculpture and painting 1887. Assumed the additional name of Reynolds 1890. Exhibited at the R.A. 1886–1942, solely as a sculptor after 1894. Influenced to some extent by Alfred Gilbert and Pre-Raphaelite medievalism. Made many memorials, including those to Sir William Q. Orchardson, R.A., in St Paul’s, and to Archbishop Lord Davidson in the courtyard of Lambeth Palace. In 1904 he designed the chancel screen, reredos and other decorations for the Church of St Mary the Virgin, Great Warley, Essex. F.R.B.S. 1904, P.R.B.S. 1921–33, awarded R.B.S. gold medal 1928; knighted 1931. Died at Tunbridge Wells 23 February 1943.
Tiffany & Co. Sterling Paper or letter holder 1888
TIFFANY & COMPANY (1868-) New York
Paper or letter holder 1888
Marks: TIFFANY & CO, 10119 M 7881, STERLING
For more information see: Tiffany Silver, Charles H. Carpenter, Jr. (New York: Dodd, Mead & Company, 1978) pp. 256, 259-261; Modernism: Modernist Design 1880-1940, The Norwest Collection, Norwest Corporation, Minneapolis, Alastair Duncan (Woodbridge, Suffolk, England: The Antique Collector’s Club, 1998), p. 240.
H: 3″ x L: 4″ x D: 2 3/4″
Minton’s Ltd. / L. Arnold “Pre-Raphaelite” charger 1881
MINTON’S LTD (established 1793) Stoke-upon-Trent, England
“Pre-Raphaelite” charger 1881
Handpainted faience with a portrait image of a young woman with flowering blossoms and butterflies
Marks: Mintons (under glaze), Date mark for 1881 (under glaze), L. Arnold (on front of charger)
Rococo Revival 19th Century Wine Ewer c.1895
Rococo Revival, 19th Century
Wine Ewer c.1895
Silver-plate highly stylized classical ewer with various etched and applied floral details and an elegantly modeled double arch handle form
Marks: Heraldic Coat-of-Arms
H: 11″ x W: 8″ x D: 5″
This is a Rococo Revival inspired wine ewer that shows the design transition of the last quarter of the 19th Century and leading up to the curvaceous designs of the Art Nouveau Era. The classical form of this ewer has an ancient precedent as well.
Liberty & Co. / Leonard Wyburd Egyptian Revival Four-Legged Mahogany Thebes Stool c. 1890-95
Leonard Wyburd UK
Liberty & Company London
Four-legged Thebes stool circa 1890-95.
Mahogany, woven wicker seat, turned details.
Comparable Liberty stools illustrated: Egyptomania: Egypt in Western Art, 1730-1930 (Paris: Éditions de la Réunion des Musées Nationaux and Ottawa: National Gallery of Canada, 1994), pp. 465-66.
H: 15 3/4″ x D: 15″ x W: 15″
One of the driving influences of the Aesthetic Movement of the late 19th century was an informed interest in authentic ancient designs inspired by recent archaeological discoveries. Both the three- and four-legged Thebes stool were inspired by actual furniture and wall paintings unearthed from royal tombs in the ancient Egyptian city for which they are named. Leonard Wyburd, who was one of the principal designers for Liberty, patented his designs for the Thebes stools in 1884. Liberty & Co. continued to make the popular stools into the early 1900’s.
Dominick & Haff New York Grand Sterling “Grape” Theme Centerpiece Bowl 1883
DOMINICK & HAFF (active 1872-1928) USA
W. H. GLENNY & SONS CO. (retailer, New York City)
Impressive Grape and Vine centerpiece bowl 1883
An exceptional and impressive sterling hand wrought “Grape” theme centerpiece bowl by Dominick and Haff (active 1872-1928) , 1883 and retailed by W. H. Glenny & Sons Co. (retailer, New York City)
Elaborate hand hammered, chased and repousse sterling silver bowl with applied grape branch handles and very deep three dimensional hand repousse grape clusters, leaves and vines, all against a background of graduating honey comb pattern hammer tone marks, original lemon-yellow gold interior, approx. weight: 90 ounces
Marks: Dominick and Haff makers mark incorporating the date 1883, W. H. Glenny Sons & Co. (retailer), 355A, STERLING
H: 6 1/2″ x Dia: 18″
The New York silver firm known today as ‘Dominick & Haff’ originally began with the name ‘William Gale & Son’ in 1862. It went through a series of ownership and name changes to become Dominick & Corning in 1867, Gale and Corning in 1869, Gale Dominick & Haff in 1870 and Dominick & Haff in 1872. In 1929, Dominick & Haff was purchased by the silversmith/ manufacturing company of Reed & Barton of Taunton Massachusetts.
Oriental rug graphic micro beaded bag c. 1895
George Nathan & Ridley Hayes Chester “Classical Revival” Sterling vase 1906
George Nathan & Ridley Hayes Chester
“Classical Revival” Sterling vase 1906
Sterling footed vase in the “Antique Style” with a face in relief, double loop handles and an ivy decorated edge detail, on a splayed column detailed foot, gilded interior.
Marks: Shield mark with the initials G.N. for George Nathan and R.H. for Ridley Hayes. Chester “F” hallmarks for 1906
Inscribed on the back: “From and To with an engraved figure, XMAS 1923)
H: 6 1/4″ x D: 4 5/8″ x W: 6 1/2”
Edward Welby Pugin “Granville” early Arts & Crafts walnut chair c. 1870
EDWARD WELBY PUGIN (1834 – 1875) UK
“Granville” chair c. 1870
Walnut, klismos-style A-frame back with exposed pegs, shaped seat and base with exposed mortise and tenon joinery.
Illustrated: Victorian and Edwardian Decor: From the Gothic Revival to Art Nouveau, Jeremy Cooper (New York: Abbeville Press, 1987) fig. 117; Nineteenth Century Design: from Pugin to Mackintosh, Charlotte Gere and Michael Whiteway (New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc., 1993) p.143, pl. 173 (in oak); Catalogue Sommaire Illustré des Art Décoratifs, Musée d’Orsay (Paris: Éditions de la Réunion des Musées Nationaux, 1988), p. 184; Truth, Beauty and Design. Victorian, Edwardian and later decorative art, exhibit. cat. (Fisher Fine Art Limited, London, 1986.) p. 32, No. 50
A “Granville” chair is in both the Permanent Collection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Museum of Modern Art in New York and the Musée D’Orsay, Paris.
H: 33″ x D: 18 1/2″ x W: 18″
Edward Welby Pugin, son of gothic-revivalist A.W.N. Pugin, was thrust into professional and family responsibilities upon his father’s death in 1852 when the young Pugin was only eighteen years of age. His style closely resembled his father’s although his furniture for the Granville Hotel in Ramsgate (1873) had its own robust individuality. Like his father, he designed both church and domestic furnishings, mostly executed by Hardman & Co. of Birmingham, the firm established by his father’s collaborator John Hardman. During his lifetime E.W. Pugin was regarded as the leading Catholic church architect of the High Victorian period, in fact he left for New York in 1873 and set up an office on Fifth Avenue and received commissions for some 30 churches across the U.S., including Chicago and Washington, D.C.