Tsuchida Yasuhiko, Art Glass “Mosaic” Vase, 1999
Tsuchida Yasuhiko (b. 1969) Osaka, Japan/ Italy
Art glass mosaic technique vase 1999
Overall matte finish art glass vase with an elaborate mosaic technique inset with red rectangular patchwork sections and blue murrina jewels all on a chocolate brown body with a black glass foot
Marks: Tsuchida Yasuhiko 99, 77
For more information see: Tsuchida Yasuhiko, exh. cat., Franco Schiavon (Murano, Italy: Palazzo del Vetro, 2000).
Provenance: Pauly & Co. Venice
H: 4 3/4″ x Dia: 5 1/8″
Yasuhiko Tsuchida was born in Osaka, Japan in 1969. In 1988, soon after graduating TSUJI Culinary Institute, he left Japan to explore food and art in Paris. Since 1992, he has lived in Venice, Italy. Tsuchida has been making glass work in Murano Island since 1995, and next year assumed the office of art director at Schiavone Glass Co. Ltd. In 1996 he presented a glass sculpture entitled “Bamboo Collection” with Japanese motif of bamboo. The work was highly acclaimed, which gave him a chance to start to hold solo exhibitions around the world. In 2000, Tsuchida became a member of the board of directors at Venetian Glass Institute, and a chief director there in 2003. In 2004, he won Honorary Technique Prize in Düsseldorf, Germany, and in 2008, received Award of Contribution to Cultural Promotion from Grosseto city, Toscana. In the same year, he represented Japan at International Open Exhibition of Sculpture, and won the Grand-Prix. In 2010, Tsuchida was invited to the Issei Miyake “IM10” Project Competition, and held a solo exhibition at Lorusso Gallery, Andria, Italy. Tsuchida continues to exhibit in many solo shows around the world.
Emanuel Josef Margold, J. & L. Lobmeyr (retailer), Glasfachschule Steinschoenau vase c. 1911
EMANUEL JOSEF MARGOLD (1888-1962)
J. & L. LOBMEYR (founded 1823) Vienna, Austria
GLASFACHSCHULE STEINSCHOENAU Bohemia
Vase c. 1911
Stylized birds perched in highly stylized scrolling vine motif, abstract geometric circular forms and concave carved “windows”, “Schwarzlot” technique further accented with gilt highlights
For more information see: Das Böhmische Glas 1700-1950, Band IV Jugendstil in Böhmen, Alena Adlerová, c.s. (Passau: Passauer Glasmuseum, 1995) pp. 202 – 210; Glaskunst der Moderne: von Josef Hoffmann bis Wilhelm Wagenfeld, Torsten Bröhan (Munich: Klinkhardt & Biermann,1992),
***The “Schwarzlot” technique is finely pulverized iron that is in liquid form and painted as the graphic design. The piece is than “fired” and the painted surface creates a soft iridescent metallic charcoal grey surface. This technique also has a similar coloration to the liquid form metallic used in the silver / jewelry technique “Niello”. “Schwarzlot” was a labor intensive technique used in artistically painted glass in Bohemia immediately following the turn of the 20th Century and through the 1920’s.
H: 7 1/4″ x Dia” 4 1/2″
Emanuel Josef Margold (1888-1962)
The architect, designer for the arts and graphic artist Josef Emanuel Margold was trained as a carpenter at the College for woodworking in Königsberg an der Eger. He then studied at the School of Applied Arts in Mainz Anton Huber, then at the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna in the Master School of Architecture at Josef Hoffmann. 1908-10 he carried out works in Bohemia and Austria. He then became assistant Josef Hoffmann at the master class and employees of the Wiener Werkstätte. During the study period Margold participated in numerous Ideenwettbewerben. The Darmstadt publisher Alexander Koch became aware of him and published from 1907 Margolds designs in various journals.The 1911 Margold was appointed to the Darmstadt Artists’ Colony and established a studio in the Ernst-Ludwig-Haus. He made numerous designs for all areas of arts and crafts such as jewelry, porcelain, glass, fabrics and wallpapers. Documented from this period are also several residential and office equipment. His cookie jars made of sheet metal for the manufacturer Bahlsen from Hanover, which he made from 1912 to 1918 were known. In Darmstadt, he designed the establishment of the lamp business August Wilk and designed grave times in the expressionist style.In 1929 he moved to Berlin, where he still designed several houses in the style of the new style. In 1938 he became a professor at the School of Applied Arts
Henry van de Velde Silver mounted Eugene Baudin French Art Nouveau vase c. 1900
HENRY VAN DE VELDE (1863-1957) Belgium (design mount)
for “LA MAISON MODERNE” Paris, France
ALPHONSE-EDOUARD DEBAIN France (execution mount)
EUGÈNE BAUDIN (1853-1918) France (pottery)
Vase c. 1900
Matte-glazed pottery, cranberry bright turquoise and white highlights, elaborate Art Nouveau whiplash silver mount.
Marks: E Baudin, AD (silversmith monogram), French 950 silver assay mark
For more information on van de Velde ceramics see: Ceramics of the 20th Century, Tamara Préaud and Serge Gauthier (New York: Rizzoli, 1982) illus. no. 67, p.42; Art Nouveau and Art Deco Silver, Annelies Krekel-Aalberse (New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc.,1989), pp. 63, 90, 264.
For other A-E. Debain designs see: The Paris Salons 1895-1914, Vol. V: Objets d’Art & Metalware, Alastair Duncan (Woodbridge, Suffolk: Antique Collectors’ Club, 1999), p. 208.
For related Van de Velde mount designs see: Jugendstil, Irmela Franzke (Munich: Battenberg Verlag, 1987), illus. 169, p. 87.
H: 8 1/4” x W: 4”